Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Fantasy creations

<<  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 > >>  

Hahdremro
February 27, 2018

I've been running a D&D campaign for a while, and I have a few ideas for it here and there, but nothing I've created there is as interesting to me as Xyndith-Ghol, a Great Old One based on Hermaeus Mora. He's the patron of the party's warlock at the moment, and I've been having fun with him.

Xydnith-Ghol, Keeper of Tomes, Knower of the Unknowable, Holder of the Impenetrable Secrets
A Great Old One, depicted as a writhing tangle of long, thin limbs that end in spindly, skeletal fingers, all seething around an amorphous mass of eyes and eyestalks of every imaginable shape. Every one of the hands is holding a book that one of the independently moving eyes is focused upon. He speaks in paradoxes and riddles, his will unfathomable and his machinations unending. He often traps mortals in his Eternal Library, the realm in which he exists, which is made up of infinite rows of bookshelves arranged in a vast building with non-Euclidean architecture. 
Xyndith-Ghol has knowledge on every possible subject, ranging from the mundane and insignificant to the impossible and cosmic. He shares this information when he believes it will benefit him, whether in the short- or long-term, although his goals are unknown to all but himself. He often shows himself to downtrodden scholars and seekers of knowledge who have been forgotten by society, and promises to guide these lost souls, granting them power and limitless information if they will do his bidding. Rarely, he will gift these individuals with inhuman abilities, and urge them to achieve great accomplishments in his name.
He believes that mundane and arcane knowledge alike are meant to be shared among those who can understand it, but there is much knowledge that may damage the minds of the unprepared. Often, Xyndith-Ghol treats his followers as students, with the end goal of bringing them into his realm to learn of information that they might not have previously been capable of comprehending. He trains his acolytes to become resilient to the impossible and paradoxical truths of the cosmos, so that their minds do not shatter upon receiving such revelations. Sadly, many followers of Xyndith-Ghol are too eager to discover such forbidden knowledge, and their unprepared minds are torn asunder by the incomprehensible facts they seek.

Xyndit-Ghol has obvious influences from Hermaeus Mora of the TES series, but I'm hoping to tie him in with the Cthulhu mythos as well. Perhaps he is the offspring of Yog-Sothoth and Shub-Niggurath? Might as well go with that. It would explain the knowledge aspect that's so inherent to his character. He's more interested in spreading knowledge, and although he doesn't yet have a complete grasp of all knowledge yet, he's always striving to learn as much as possible from his Eternal Library. Like any good librarian, he doesn't know everything, but he knows where to find it.

by Hahdremro
February 27, 2018

I've been running a D&D campaign for a while, and I have a few ideas for it here and there, but nothing I've created there is as interesting to me as Xyndith-Ghol, a Great Old One based on Hermaeus Mora. He's the patron of the party's warlock at the moment, and I've been having fun with him.

Xydnith-Ghol, Keeper of Tomes, Knower of the Unknowable, Holder of the Impenetrable Secrets
A Great Old One, depicted as a writhing tangle of long, thin limbs that end in spindly, skeletal fingers, all seething around an amorphous mass of eyes and eyestalks of every imaginable shape. Every one of the hands is holding a book that one of the independently moving eyes is focused upon. He speaks in paradoxes and riddles, his will unfathomable and his machinations unending. He often traps mortals in his Eternal Library, the realm in which he exists, which is made up of infinite rows of bookshelves arranged in a vast building with non-Euclidean architecture. 
Xyndith-Ghol has knowledge on every possible subject, ranging from the mundane and insignificant to the impossible and cosmic. He shares this information when he believes it will benefit him, whether in the short- or long-term, although his goals are unknown to all but himself. He often shows himself to downtrodden scholars and seekers of knowledge who have been forgotten by society, and promises to guide these lost souls, granting them power and limitless information if they will do his bidding. Rarely, he will gift these individuals with inhuman abilities, and urge them to achieve great accomplishments in his name.
He believes that mundane and arcane knowledge alike are meant to be shared among those who can understand it, but there is much knowledge that may damage the minds of the unprepared. Often, Xyndith-Ghol treats his followers as students, with the end goal of bringing them into his realm to learn of information that they might not have previously been capable of comprehending. He trains his acolytes to become resilient to the impossible and paradoxical truths of the cosmos, so that their minds do not shatter upon receiving such revelations. Sadly, many followers of Xyndith-Ghol are too eager to discover such forbidden knowledge, and their unprepared minds are torn asunder by the incomprehensible facts they seek.

Xyndit-Ghol has obvious influences from Hermaeus Mora of the TES series, but I'm hoping to tie him in with the Cthulhu mythos as well. Perhaps he is the offspring of Yog-Sothoth and Shub-Niggurath? Might as well go with that. It would explain the knowledge aspect that's so inherent to his character. He's more interested in spreading knowledge, and although he doesn't yet have a complete grasp of all knowledge yet, he's always striving to learn as much as possible from his Eternal Library. Like any good librarian, he doesn't know everything, but he knows where to find it.

Fronlaasfrin
February 27, 2018
Hahdremro

@Vomirmun The whole concept seems surreal, almost reminiscent of the style of alien race that was so prevalent during the Golden Age of Science Fiction. With a bit of polish and detail, I feel like the Twinadactynes have a lot of potential. 

Wanna help? I haven't really created a detailed race of my own before :)

by Fronlaasfrin
February 27, 2018
Hahdremro

@Vomirmun The whole concept seems surreal, almost reminiscent of the style of alien race that was so prevalent during the Golden Age of Science Fiction. With a bit of polish and detail, I feel like the Twinadactynes have a lot of potential. 

Fronlaasfrin
February 27, 2018
Hahdremro

Xyndith-Ghol has knowledge on every possible subject, ranging from the mundane and insignificant to the impossible and cosmic. He shares this information when he believes it will benefit him, whether in the short- or long-term, although his goals are unknown to all but himself. He often shows himself to downtrodden scholars and seekers of knowledge who have been forgotten by society, and promises to guide these lost souls, promising them power and limitless information if they will do his bidding. Rarely, he will gift these individuals with inhuman abilities, and urge them to achieve great accomplishments in his name.

So, this guy isn't your own creation? He's a D&D Character? Just wondering.

by Fronlaasfrin
February 27, 2018
Hahdremro

Xyndith-Ghol has knowledge on every possible subject, ranging from the mundane and insignificant to the impossible and cosmic. He shares this information when he believes it will benefit him, whether in the short- or long-term, although his goals are unknown to all but himself. He often shows himself to downtrodden scholars and seekers of knowledge who have been forgotten by society, and promises to guide these lost souls, promising them power and limitless information if they will do his bidding. Rarely, he will gift these individuals with inhuman abilities, and urge them to achieve great accomplishments in his name.

Hahdremro
February 27, 2018
Vomirmun

He's my own creation, specifically made for a D&D campaign. I have written a couple of short stories about him and his followers (both willing and unwilling), although those were posted on r/writingprompts and I can't access Reddit here. I can try to post links to them here at some point tonight, hopefully. We'll see how that goes.

I actually haven't taken that dive myself before. I've dabbled in it briefly in the past, but that's about it. Honestly, I wouldn't know where to start. I found a series about worldbuilding videos on YouTube the other day, and those might be somewhat helpful. I'll also try to get those links for you as well.

by Hahdremro
February 27, 2018
Vomirmun

He's my own creation, specifically made for a D&D campaign. I have written a couple of short stories about him and his followers (both willing and unwilling), although those were posted on r/writingprompts and I can't access Reddit here. I can try to post links to them here at some point tonight, hopefully. We'll see how that goes.

I actually haven't taken that dive myself before. I've dabbled in it briefly in the past, but that's about it. Honestly, I wouldn't know where to start. I found a series about worldbuilding videos on YouTube the other day, and those might be somewhat helpful. I'll also try to get those links for you as well.

Fronlaasfrin
February 27, 2018
Hahdremro

kogaan fahdoni!

by Fronlaasfrin
February 27, 2018
Hahdremro

kogaan fahdoni!

Vuldovyol
March 1, 2018
I created a fantasy world that is heavily inspired by LotR, A Court of Thorns and Roses(by Sarah Maas), TES, and Transformers. I call it Dydurnus.
by Vuldovyol
March 1, 2018
I created a fantasy world that is heavily inspired by LotR, A Court of Thorns and Roses(by Sarah Maas), TES, and Transformers. I call it Dydurnus.

Hahdremro
March 1, 2018
Tinvaakbo

Do you have any details on this world? That seems like quite a mishmash of genres. I just got the most bizarre mental image of Optimus Prime punching a Balrog in the middle of Whiterun.

by Hahdremro
March 1, 2018
Tinvaakbo

Do you have any details on this world? That seems like quite a mishmash of genres. I just got the most bizarre mental image of Optimus Prime punching a Balrog in the middle of Whiterun.

Vuldovyol
March 1, 2018

I specifically used the Deities Primus and Unicron from the Transformer mythos. Thats the only transformers stuff i used.

by Vuldovyol
March 1, 2018

I specifically used the Deities Primus and Unicron from the Transformer mythos. Thats the only transformers stuff i used.

Vuldovyol
March 1, 2018

The World of Dydurnus does not specifically take place in the Aurbis. It is its own universe with its own world and cosmology. When i can ill provide pictures.

by Vuldovyol
March 1, 2018

The World of Dydurnus does not specifically take place in the Aurbis. It is its own universe with its own world and cosmology. When i can ill provide pictures.

Vuldovyol
March 1, 2018
Keep I mind that my Drawing skill are(as stated in MIB) precisely Dick.
by Vuldovyol
March 1, 2018
Keep I mind that my Drawing skill are(as stated in MIB) precisely Dick.

Vuldovyol
March 1, 2018

This post has been deleted.

by Vuldovyol
March 1, 2018

This post has been deleted.

Vuldovyol
March 1, 2018

Here's a map: 

by Vuldovyol
March 1, 2018

Here's a map: 

Vuldovyol
March 1, 2018

you may have to zoom in

by Vuldovyol
March 1, 2018

you may have to zoom in

Ruvgein
March 1, 2018
Tinvaakbo

Please do not spam the forums.  Edit a post if you have more to add.

by Ruvgein
March 1, 2018
Tinvaakbo

Please do not spam the forums.  Edit a post if you have more to add.

Vuldovyol
March 1, 2018
I'm sorry about that
by Vuldovyol
March 1, 2018
I'm sorry about that
<<  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.