Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Proper nouns list

hiith
January 29, 2015

The following is a list of transcriptions/translations/transliterations of proper nouns into the Dragon-Tongue that wouldn't be fit in the dictionary. The goal here is to create a standard of what words and spellings to use in refference to them.

Important note: words that don't originate in English are derived from their original language, such as "Spanish" from Spanish, "Qur'an" from Arabic, and "Jesus" from... Hebrew? I think it was Hebrew.

Other important note: a lot of these words are merely specifications that generally would not be used until the need to specify arises. This means that more general words would be used more to convey these ideas. For example, video games such as "Wii" and "xBox" would instead be referred to with "bodilirkred" or similar, unless this isn't enough in the given context.

Also note that since there is no alphabetical case in Dragon-Tonge, I don't capitalize words in the language. I mean no disrespect to any-thing that you feel should be capitalized and is not.

• Book of Mormon - deykel se josef smith
  • (Holy) Bible - deykel se yeshuah (esp. the New Testament alone), see holy book
  • French (language) - fronsey
  • Furbish - furbish
  • Google - googel
  • holy book (scripture, sacred text, religous text) (esp. the Christian Bible) - revak deykel
  • Islam - alislam
  • Jesus - yeshuah
  • Joseph Smith (founder of Mormonism) - josef smith
  • McDonald's - mkdonald(ro)
  • Muhammad (Messenger of God, according to Islam) - muhamed
  • Nintendo - nintendo
  • Pentateuch - see Torah
  • (Sony) Playstation - pleysteyshyon or kiird-ubaak
  • Qur'an (or Koran) - alqoran
  • Samsung - samsung
  • Sega - seyga (uv seygah)
  • Sony - soney
  • Spanish (language) - espanyol
  • Thuum.org - monahrot (derived from monahven)
  • Torah - torah
  • (Nintendo) Wii - wii
  • xBox - x-pok (pronounced as nex pok)

If you have any suggestions/objections about new or current words, feel free to reply on this thread. I will keep the list updated and growing.

by hiith
January 29, 2015

The following is a list of transcriptions/translations/transliterations of proper nouns into the Dragon-Tongue that wouldn't be fit in the dictionary. The goal here is to create a standard of what words and spellings to use in refference to them.

Important note: words that don't originate in English are derived from their original language, such as "Spanish" from Spanish, "Qur'an" from Arabic, and "Jesus" from... Hebrew? I think it was Hebrew.

Other important note: a lot of these words are merely specifications that generally would not be used until the need to specify arises. This means that more general words would be used more to convey these ideas. For example, video games such as "Wii" and "xBox" would instead be referred to with "bodilirkred" or similar, unless this isn't enough in the given context.

Also note that since there is no alphabetical case in Dragon-Tonge, I don't capitalize words in the language. I mean no disrespect to any-thing that you feel should be capitalized and is not.

• Book of Mormon - deykel se josef smith
  • (Holy) Bible - deykel se yeshuah (esp. the New Testament alone), see holy book
  • French (language) - fronsey
  • Furbish - furbish
  • Google - googel
  • holy book (scripture, sacred text, religous text) (esp. the Christian Bible) - revak deykel
  • Islam - alislam
  • Jesus - yeshuah
  • Joseph Smith (founder of Mormonism) - josef smith
  • McDonald's - mkdonald(ro)
  • Muhammad (Messenger of God, according to Islam) - muhamed
  • Nintendo - nintendo
  • Pentateuch - see Torah
  • (Sony) Playstation - pleysteyshyon or kiird-ubaak
  • Qur'an (or Koran) - alqoran
  • Samsung - samsung
  • Sega - seyga (uv seygah)
  • Sony - soney
  • Spanish (language) - espanyol
  • Thuum.org - monahrot (derived from monahven)
  • Torah - torah
  • (Nintendo) Wii - wii
  • xBox - x-pok (pronounced as nex pok)

If you have any suggestions/objections about new or current words, feel free to reply on this thread. I will keep the list updated and growing.

BoDuSil
January 29, 2015

We shouldn't have a special word for each individual game console, a dovah would say "game console" or just "console" or just game, not "X-pok" or "Wii" etc

by BoDuSil
January 29, 2015

We shouldn't have a special word for each individual game console, a dovah would say "game console" or just "console" or just game, not "X-pok" or "Wii" etc

hiith
January 30, 2015
BoDuSil

vahzah, you speak truly. However, this doesn't do the language justice as a fully usable means of communication. Say, for example, that some-one wanted to compare the Nintendo Wii and the original xBox; the terms used there would be entirely too complicated. That's why these words exist, to be simple words translated to resemble their original form.

In short, these are merely specifications. You would ideally just use "bodilirkred" to refer to video gaming until the need to specify arises.

I edited the original post to explain this.

(EDIT: This is my 500th post!)

by hiith
January 30, 2015
BoDuSil

vahzah, you speak truly. However, this doesn't do the language justice as a fully usable means of communication. Say, for example, that some-one wanted to compare the Nintendo Wii and the original xBox; the terms used there would be entirely too complicated. That's why these words exist, to be simple words translated to resemble their original form.

In short, these are merely specifications. You would ideally just use "bodilirkred" to refer to video gaming until the need to specify arises.

I edited the original post to explain this.

(EDIT: This is my 500th post!)

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.